An unattended candle is said to be the cause of a fire in a duplex Monday evening.
All occupants escaped safely without injury from the house at 604 East 9th Street in Auburn. The Auburn Fire Department was called at 6:34 p.m. with a report of smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived at 6:38 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the front door of the house and once they entered, responders discovered a fire in the living room and quickly extinguished it.
Fire had extended into the ceiling and a portion of the roof. Firefighters declared the fire to be under control at 6:52 p.m., and then returned to their stations at 8:38 p.m.
The Garrett Fire Department, Parkview DeKalb EMS, and Auburn Police assisted at the scene. The Butler Fire Department stood watch at Auburn Fire Station 1.
(12-10-2019) Defiance Man Arrested For Child Molestation
(12-10-2019) Water District Merger In Process In Henry County
(12-10-2019) Motorcyclist Still At Large Following Police Chase In Bryan
(12-10-2019) Bronson Holding Second Round Superintendent Interviews
(12-10-2019) Executive Session For Hamilton Town Council Scheduled
(12-10-2019) Coldwater Man Gets One Year In Jail
(12-10-2019) Much Cooler Temperatures Expected For Tuesday and Wednesday
(12-10-2019) Indiana Based Trucking Company Files For Chapter 11
(12-10-2019) Crash Leads To Arrest of Kendallville Woman
(12-09-2019) Trine Raises More Than $175,000 During Giving Tuesday
(12-09-2019) Coldwater Police Investigating Monday Morning Break-In
(12-09-2019) Wolcottville Man Arrested Sunday
(12-09-2019) Search For Bison Statue On Bixler Lake Continues
(12-09-2019) Breaking And Entering At Burr Oak Area Building
(12-09-2019) Colon Man Arrested On Multiple Charges
(12-09-2019) Scam Alert For Those In Noble County
(12-07-2019) An Iconic Steuben County Contractor Has Passed Away
(12-06-2019) Finalists Named In Bronson Superintendent Search