Union City Fire Said To Be Started By Space Header
Friday, October 22, 2021

(UNION CITY) – Authorities say a Thursday morning fire in Union City was caused by a space heater that got too close to a couch.

The Union City Fire Department was called just after 11 AM to a duplex at 216 Crane Street. When they arrived firefighters found smoke and flames coming from one of the living units. The person who lived in the location where the fire started told firefighters that they tried to put out the blaze with a washer hose, but was not able to do so.

The Burlington and Athens Fire Department provided mutual aid. Once the fire was extinguished, investigators determined that a space heater was the cause of the blaze.

The Union City Police Department and Life Care Ambulance was also called to the scene. No injuries were reported, and the building suffered smoke and water damage.